Ozone in Modern Dentistry
Holistic Dentistry complements traditional dentistry in a number of ways, including safely removing Amalgam fillings and finding alternatives to root canals. One big step in modern Holistic Dentistry is the use of ozone as a minimally invasive treatment to help control bacteria that causes infections. With ozone dental therapy, the bacteria that causes tooth decay is eliminated by altering the oral environment.
What is Ozone?
Ozone (O3) is a triatomic molecule, consisting of three oxygen atoms. It is created when oxygen (O2) is split apart by sunlight into single oxygen atoms. Single oxygen atoms can re-join to make O2, or they can join with O2 molecules to make ozone (O3).
Ozone is used to treat common dental problems including cavities, gum and periodontal disease, root canal treatment, bone pathology aka cavitations and preventative therapy. Ozone is used alongside other procedures and assists in minimizing infections. The negative charge of the ozone is attracted to inflamed and infected areas and both kills and helps prevent bacterial growth. Ozone also neutralizes acidity to assist in slowing future bacterial growth.
Benefits of Ozone
- Ozone Oxygen or O2/O3 gas therapy is used to clean, promote healing, and control bacteria / infections for many procedures, such as treating cavities, gum disease, and periodontal disease.
- Ozonated water is used to treat tooth abscesses, infections and ulcerations.
- Ozone can clean and prepare your bone prior to having an implant done.
- Ozone tray therapy is used to prevent cavity and gum disease.
- Ozone water and gas is used to treat deep cavities which helps prevent needing root canals or other major procedures.
- Ozone water and gas is used to disinfect a tooth region prior to having a filling done.
- TMJ pain is treated with injected ozone gas to kill microorganisms and help reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Treats jaw bone infections from extractions.
- Treats infections from wisdom teeth removal.
Dr. Sonya Reddy
received her education at the prestigious NYU College Of Dentistry
, where she also received special training in Cosmetic Dentistry. Dr. Reddy is a member of the American Cosmetic Dentists
, the Academy of General Dentistry
, the American Dental Association
, and a SMART certified and accredited member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology