Dental Braces vs Invisalign:
We believe that a beautiful smile can make a person happier and healthier. Keeping your smile, teeth and gums healthy means that sometimes you must straighten your teeth.
There are many techniques used by dental professionals and there are two very effective techniques which are great for not only for straightening your teeth but for correcting bite issues as well.
There are metal braces and invisalign, both which can be used by adults and children too.
The Characteristics of Braces and Invisalign:
- Braces consist of metal brackets being glued to your teeth, and tied together by wires and tiny rubber bands. You can get them in colors if you decide to make a fashion statement or you can opt for neutral color, more discrete that is matching your enamel color.
- Invisalign is on the other hand designed to be invisible. Clear aligners are made of BPA – free and clear plastic. They are smooth-textured, comfortable and in a gentle way they move your teeth.
- Invisalign is effective for moderate crowding and alignment cases and also for patients who have experienced some relapse and have had previous orthodontic treatment.
- The reason why some orthodontists prefer classical metal brackets and wires is because of the difficulty that plastic shells have in creating forces required for complex tooth movements like turning round teeth or paralleling roots. Whatever technique you choose consider every aspect and not only the aesthetics.
Benefits, pros and cons:
If you want to straighten your teeth you must consider the benefits, pros and cons. Here are some differences between braces and invisalign:
- Braces are irremovable, fixed on your teeth whilst invisalign has trays that can be removed whenever you want.
- The metal construction of braces can cost extra money, even more for colored braces or neutral, enamel color. Invisalign is colorless and made of invisible plastic, it is esthetically an alternative many patients are seeking.
- Braces are worn 24/7 for an average use of 2 years. Invisalign trays are worn usually 22-24 hrs a day from 6 up to 18 months.
- Braces costs range from $1,800-$5,500. Invisalign has an average cost of $5,000
- Invisalign cleaning system or brushing is easier because trays can be removed.
- Braces follow up visit is usually once a month while invisalign has aligner trays that must be changed every two weeks and visits are scheduled every 4 to 6 weeks.
There are trays that can last up to one year, but these require some form of retention to prevent the teeth from shifting back.
- Braces are more effective for complex issues whilst invisalign is better for mild cases. It is better to leave the choice between these two possibilities to your dentist, he or she knows the severity of your case.
- Braces may cause some discomfort while eating sticky or hard food. Invisalign presents no issues with any kind of food.
- Braces present no temptation to leave them out, because they are not removable. Invisalign requires discipline. Once you remove them to eat you must remember to put them back, too.
- With braces you can play any sport, rough ones, too.